By now we have all seen all sorts of news and reports on sensitive data being stolen, unintentionally shared, or inadvertently lost. What more can we do to prevent data breaches? While any comprehensive safekeeping method requires a combination of people and process, the first step is to take inventory of your data. A Data Inventory will answer some basic questions, and suggest other important questions such as:
- What information do you need to protect?
- Are the devices secure?
- How did the information get there in the first place?
- What are the risks of unauthorized access?
- Where else is the information likely to have been copied?
- Who has access to this information?
- Why are they leaving it insecure?
Armed with this data you can engage people and define processes, including periodic monitoring and discovery to refine and reinforce
While we are all searching for the silver bullet for data breaches, we can definitely use data discovery to improve our processes and methods of data protection today.