All companies in all 50 states that handle personal information must be prepared for a security breach at all times to prevent identity theft and fraud. Government and federal organizations, including central and state departments or local councils, constantly deal with sensitive data and recognize the need to protect it from the point of creation through to distribution, storage and destruction. A data breach can be extremely costly but can also impact the political and economic environment.
A security breach occurs when any person or entity gains unauthorized access to a company’s data.
Sensitive data which must be protected from a security breach includes, but it not limited to:
- Personal information
- A driver’s license which shows the person’s name and driver’s license identification number together
- Identification which shows name and social security number
- Account numbers combined with the name
- Computerized data
Data Classification can bring huge benefits; it can make users more aware of the sensitivity of the data they are using, drive data protection software and prevent individuals from accessing or mistreating sensitive data. Data Classification takes the risk out of sensitive data sharing.
Reliable classification enables the consistent implementation of data policies, data protection measures and security tools, enhancing the effectiveness of existing third-party solutions such as enhanced encryption, archiving & storage, discovery, Data Loss Prevention, digital rights management and document management.
An entity can contact the attorney general’s office for their state to learn the specific state security breach notification requirements they must have. Each entity and state have different requirements depending on the type of security breach they have encountered. This includes the consumer reporting agencies who report the unauthorized access to consumers in the event of a security breach.
Spirion has been protecting sensitive central and local government organizations against data breaches for over 10 years. As a pioneer in data persistent automated data classification, the Spirion data platform, provides a scalable structure blended with the right amount of user input for your organization, to produce valuable and useful classification for your data.
Spirion provides a solution to help organizations discover, classify, monitor and respond in order to meet National Data Breach Protection and Privacy Laws transparently – without changes to operational processes and the daily work of healthcare professionals. Spirion provides technical safeguards to automatically identify and classify electronic protected health with an easy-to-deploy, centrally managed solution that integrates with your existing security infrastructure. Spirion’s open APIs allow integrations with your existing DLP tools, encryption software, data-archiving and storage solutions offered by leading technology providers such as Symantec, Intel Security and others to help increase the benefits from existing spend on these data security solutions.
Spirion Key features
Search everywhere and identify with zero false positives
- Reliable discovery results with industry leading accuracy and precision
- Searches local/shared/removable drives, cloud storage, e-mail servers, databases, web servers, SharePoint sites, Windows/Mac/Linux workstations, web sites and file servers.
- Searches within all file types structured and unstructured – Office files, text, images, scanned images, e-mail messages and attachments, archives, deleted files, Outlook archives, and compressed files.
Classify results persistently
- Classifies sensitive data by category and priority to amplify the need for administrators and/or data owners to manage and protect results. Embed classifications directly into files.
Secure unprotected information
- Secures results using a file shredder (based on DoD standard), redaction, encryption, or quarantine to a safe location.
Monitor and manage data operations centrally
- Identifies unprotected results as compared to what employees have already secured for trending analysis.
- Notifies data owners automatically
- Empowers employees to sanitize their data environment and monitors their progress with automated alerts and notifications without the extra staff burden.
Make employees part of the process
- Give employees access to classification add-ons in popular collaboration suites such as MS Office and Adobe Acrobat.
Highly scalable, flexible and secure architecture
- Highly scalable, open architecture that accommodates the growth of staff, processes and information across the enterprise.
- Enables organizations to scale and grow by providing the ability to orchestrate administrative and compliance processes consistently and globally.
- Integrates with Active Directory to simplify policy designation and group reporting
- Within an hour start seeing sensitive data results.
- Within a day create an inventory of sensitive data on all systems.
- Within a week implement a data loss prevention strategy for continuous data protection.